A common skin problem faced by most of the people is white spots on skin. Commonly this is a disorder called Vitiligo which takes off the color (pigment) in the cells of the affected skin. These spots or patches on the skin can be found on all the parts of the body like in the hands, legs above the nose and over the fingers etc., Besides Vitiligo, there are also other causes of white patches on skin. Well, given below are some of the conditions that cause them.
What are Causes Exactly
Most people who have poor immunization power are most prone to get this condition. There is no difference for this disease that both male and female will get affected by these spots. People with thyroid, depression, distress and hypertension are most likely to get these patches and spots to be in white color.
- White patches on the affected areas like rashes will be visible before the actual white spots they appear on the affected area of skin.
- Grayish scars like marks around the affected area of the skin.
- Itching of skin around the areas where the white spots would appear actually.
- Some people experience change of their hair color too before getting the white patches.
- They are often cause by fungal infection brought about by using bath towels more than once. It is best to always use fresh towels each time you take a shower or a bath.
Sometime white scars due to the injuries also seem like vitiligo skin. In addition, sun tanning and eczema can be the possible causes too.
Diseases that May Link to White Skin Patches
Vitiligo also called Leucoderma is the most common cause that can result in white patches or spots, which is a skin disorder in which the spots appear on the skin usually occurring on both sides of the body in the same location. The disease has been around for thousands of years. Vitiligo occurs in 1-2% of the population. It affects both sexes, all races and all ages. Vitiligo occurs when melanin — the dark pigment in the epidermis that gives your skin its normal color — is destroyed or not produced. The involved patch of skin then becomes white.
Summary of diagnostic features:
- Patches with loss of pigment in the skin
- Family history
- Association with autoimmune disease.
- Woods lamp examination
- Skin biopsy
There іѕ no cure for the disease and the treatment will depend on the severity of Vitiligo. Corticosteroid cream is the most traditional treatment option by most dermatologists.
However, Vitiligo is not the only skin condition which causes white spot on the skin, there are many other skin condition that may be the possible cause. Like Tinea Versicolor (Pityriasis Versicolor), Nevus depigmentosus, Pityriasis Alba, Idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis and Melasma.
18 Home Remedies
- Avoid stress is the first and foremost home remedy.
- Avoid using acid rich bath soaps.
- Try to avoid sun bath when the sun is high in the sky.
- Take sun bath a maximum of 20-30 minutes because too much heat can cause white spots on skin by damaging the tissues.
- Consult doctor before using any new cosmetic cream while taking sun bath.
- Avoid food items which are rich in citrus acids like fish, crabs.
- Stop eating citrus rich fruits like orange, grapes and start eating more cereals, beans and leafy vegetables.
- Increase iron rich diet such has meat, liver, cereals, beans, lentils and green leafy vegetables.
- Avoid citrus fruits, tamarind, fish, lobsters, crabs and prawns.
- Amount of salt used in the food to be reduced while undergoing treatment for this condition.
- Drinking water in a copper vessel which has been kept overnight will reduce the spots.
- Ginger juice serves as a mild stimulant in increasing blood flow to the patches.
- Ginger mixed coffee and tea will stimulate your blood cell more to replace the affected cells.
- Eating figs regularly for a month will give iron and calcium strength to the cells.
- Taking a Tea spoon amount a mixture made up of dry Neem leaves, its fruits and flowers will give immunization power which fights back against the white patches on skin.
- Vitamin B is the chief vitamin suggested for treatment of white patches. Eating food rich in vitamin B will be of great help. The foods rich in vitamin B are grains, brown rice, wheat and nutritional yeast. For improvement of hormonal functions of the body omega 3 is helpful. Vitamin B also helps to remove deficiency of stomach acids resulting in better absorption of nutrients.
- Eating tender guava leaves will cure white spots inside the mouth.
- Applying a paste made up of black gram on the affected area will be very fruitful in the fighting against this skin problem.
Medical Treatment Options
Treatment is definitely available but not all the treatments are applicable to all. some options are for specific kind of skins and the severity of these white spots. There is possibility of getting side effects by treating this skin condition.
Currently surgical, laser and medical treatments are available.
1.Applying Prescribed medical creams and oils on the skin.
2.Medicines to take for your white patches on mouth.
3.Removing the affected cells and implanting the fresh cell.
Surgical treatment is just like plastic surgery where the affected skins will be operated and removed.
Tips for Cures
-The most common treatment method to cure the white spots on skin is that vitiligo which is corticosteroid cream. Because the hormone deficiency has been cured in usage of cream.
– By the long duration of sunlight exposure to the body which is made by naturally or artificial method of sunlight exposure is photo therapy method which will get effectiveness for the treatment.
-Latest medical technology field plays a role in the cell replacement technology which the damaged cell can be replaced by the new and good cell. This method is known as transplantation vitiligo for cure white patches and spots.